Doctors are increasingly offering a convenient laser treatment for toenail fungus. The laser is used to remove a common fungus from toenails, known as Onychomycosis, that causes discoloration or negative cosmetic characteristics in toenails. The question that most people ask themselves is, how effective is laser treatment for toenail fungus?
Effectiveness of Laser Treatment For Nail Fungus
Approximately 12% of Americans are affected by this fungus according to the Academy of Dermatology. There is not a great deal of published data on this treatment and only one laser machine is currently FDA approved for this primary purpose. However, early results show that the laser is an acceptable option for people to remove this fungus without the side effects of oral medication. Oral medication for this particular fungus can result in liver damage resulting in death in extreme cases.
Causes of Toenail Fungus
There are different causes of nail fungus.
- Some individuals are genetically prone to the fungus while others are likely to attract the fungus with bare feet in public areas. Swimmers and other athletes commonly go barefoot in locker rooms and showers.
- The fungus is made of fungi, or microscopic organisms that do not need sunlight to survive. The fungus thrives in warm and moist environments such as swimming pools or showers.
- The organisms can enter the body through small, invisible cuts through the separation between your nail and nail bed. Nail fungus is more prominent in toenails that are confined to a dark, moist, and warm environment such as shoes.
The Traits of Toenail Fungus
Nails that are mildly infected with fungus show discoloration resulting in more visible cosmetic problems.
- Nails infected with fungus can become extremely thick, dull, brittle, crumbly, and brown or yellowish in color.
- At times individual suffer from onycholysis, which is when the infected nail separates from the nail bed. When the fungus is untreated and grows, toes will start to grow abnormally and cause pain while walking or doing other common activities.
- A slight foul order can be emitted when the nail infection becomes active. Blood circulation near the toes is diminished compared to the fingers. It is hard for the immune system to identify and rid the body of the infection.
Laser Treatment for Toenail Fungus
Treating toenail fungus through laser treatment is a viable option for those that suffer from this inconvenience. Oral medications for this fungus are costly while having disconcerting side effects that can all be avoided with laser treatment. The cost for laser treatment can range from $750 to $1,500 for a treatment course. Treatments take only 35 to 45 minutes for all ten toes. One to four treatments are needed to clear the fungus. Clear Toes clinic offers affordable laser treatment for fungal infections. Given the fact that this procedure has a 90% success rate, you can rest assured that it is an effective of treating toenail fungus.