Post Treatment Instructions – After Your Toenail Fungus Treatment
After your laser toenail fungus treatment, your laser specialist will discuss this list of post treatment instructions in detail with you.
It is very important to follow the aftercare instructions listed here because, even though our laser procedure is highly effective at killing fungus, a fungal reinfection is always possible. We will destroy the fungus under your nails, but you have to keep it from returning.
The simple actions and habits below will greatly improve your chances for remaining fungus free for life.
You can resume your normal activities immediately. Our procedure is designed so that you can walk, run, hike, swim or do any activity you are used to doing the same day. You might notice some redness around the toenail which will go away within 24-48 hours, but you shoudn’t experience any pain after the procedure.
- Normal activity may resume immediately.
- Apply an antifungal spray with one of the following active ingredients: (Undecylenic acid 5%, Clotrimazole 1%, tolnaftate 1%, terbinafine 1%, miconazole 2% or butenafine 1%) Spray the tops of the feet. Apply up to two times daily to clean, dry feet.
- Spray the insides of your shoes with an antifungal spray or Lysol at the end of each day or use an ultraviolet shoe sterilizer (SteriShoe) as directed.
- The best product we have found to kill odor causing bacteria and fungus is the SteriShoe, which is a device that shines an ultraviolet sterilizing light into your shoes for 45 minutes, usually overnight. This is a highly effective way to ensure your shoes don’t re-infect your toes. We can show you how the SteriShoe operates when you visit our office and you can purchase one at your appointment.
- Try not to wear the same shoes every day. Shoes need to be sprayed every time there is wear.
- Disinfectant showers/tubs with bleach.
- If your feet tend to sweat a lot, use an antifungal powder or antifungal spray with baking soda.
- Buy new nail clippers and files since your current pair may be infected. Metal nail care instruments need to be cleaned with diluted bleach or boiling water.
- Wash all fabrics (socks, bedding, etc.) your feet come in contact with regularly in hot soapy water, bleach or color safe bleach immediately following the laser treatment. Change bed linens daily or wear a clean pair of socks to bed every night.
- Keep your toenails trimmed and clean.
- Wear shoes at all times, even at home. Especially, in public places, hotel rooms, showers, gyms and indoor swimming pools.
- Avoid nail salons that do not clean instruments properly or use disposable liners for pedicure bowls.
- Dispose of all nail polishes since polish may be infected.
- Wash your toes and feet daily, ensuring that you dry them completely – especially between the toes.